To help prevent injury and illness there are steps we take to care for ourselves—especially as we get older. Our homes also have to be maintained to stay in good shape, and an important part of that maintenance includes a home’s electrical system.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), in 2011, an estimated 47,700 home fires occurred as a result of electrical failure or malfunction, costing $1.4 billion in direct property damage.
The National Association of State Fire Marshals reports that older homes are more than three times more likely to have an electrical fire than newer homes.
Signs of electrical wiring problems;
dim or flickering lights, a burning smell, smoke, shocks, discoloration at electrical outlet or switch, frayed wires, breakers that trip or blow, and signs of potential rodent damage that may affect insulation. If you suspect a problem, cut power to the outlet or switch at the circuit breaker and contact an electrician to make repairs.
Did you know?
Older homes were not designed for today’s electronics and appliances.
If you have an older home, you may find that you need your electrical service inspected. The National Electric Code’s minimum standard for residential electric service is 100 amps.